I really like getting feedback and will respond to comments.

So please, won't you leave me some footnotes!

Better yet.......... Become a follower!

I'll follow you back!

Do You See What I See? Check out the images I've found!
Print Friendly and PDF

Saturday, October 30, 2010

TODDLER RAG SLIPPERS



This is where I got the inspiration for these Rag Slippers: The Pink Slipper Project
This link, Official Pink Slipper Project Pattern, will take you right to the pattern.
The pattern was for an adult slipper, but I modified to fit a toddler and added an elastic band around the back.

First thing I did was trace the toddler's foot, so I could adjust the size of the pattern, which I did in my photo editing program. For a toddler, these slippers can use up scraps of material, but since they were having a Butterfly theme for her birthday party, I bought 1/2 yard of butterfly  print flannel. I Still have about 3/4 of it left, since I used leftover pink fleece for part of the slippers, so I'll add it to my stash and make something else someday.
I printed out the pattern and pinned it to the fabric and cut it out.
For the patterned fabric I cut each piece out individually, so I could have at least 1 whole butterfly on the slipper.
I made straps for the back by cutting  a 9"x2" rectangle out of the main fabric, folding the 2  long ends to the center and then in half. I pressed this and sewed close to the open end to form a casing.
If you need, you can click on the images to make them larger.


I threaded 1/2the length of the casing + 1" elastic through the casing with a safety pin and sewed it in place on both ends.
Pin the strap between the outer fabric and lining fabric, along the straight edge of the top, about 1" in from the sides, right sides together. Sew a 1/2" seam along the straight edge and double seam it.

 Turn the piece right side out and press.
Now layer your pieces for each slipper as follows:
                                                 #1 Sole
#2 Padding (I cut this 1/2" smaller all around, 
so the edge wouldn't be so bulky)
                                                 #3 Main fabric bottom
                                                 #4 Top (which is already sewed together)
Pin the layers together and sew  1/2" from the edge around the entire slipper.

I started at the top and when I got back to the beginning, just kept on going around a second time. It may not look the nicest, but it will be less likely to tear at the seam.
Clip the edge almost to the seam, about every 3/4" to 1". This not only gives it the "rag" look, but also helps the slipper to lay flat and not curl up at the corners.
Apply fabric paint to bottoms for a slip-resistant sole.
I just made her name. Be generous with the paint, so it is puffy.
Embellish as desired. I made a small bow and used Tacky Glue to adhere it.


Have a Fantastic Day and Stay 

"In The Pink"!






Linking to:





















Fine Craft Guild














NightOwlCrafting

Blog Button
Beyond The Picket Fence
















Catch As Catch Can

504 Main

Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up    party!


Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. Those are absolutely adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love this idea!! Totally going to try making these. :) Thanks. Stopping by from TT&J.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw your link up on Tatertots and Jello. These look great! I think I will try these in all my kids' sizes!! and mine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I just love it! I will be making these! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sharon. I usually respond to comments personally, but as you are not hooked up that way, I hope you see it here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. adorable! thanks for linking up and linking back.
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are sweet and so darn cute. My little one would love these!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I love comments. I read every one and will respond if you have your email attached to your name.